Tooth decay is one of Australia’s most common health conditions, with the right care you can prevent your chances of getting tooth decay and have a healthy, happy smile.
Tips on how to avoid tooth decay –
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes, twice daily. Be sure to check that you are using the correct brushing technique and make sure ALL surfaces of the teeth are cleaned correctly.
- Remember to floss at least once a day. Flossing is a FANTASTIC way to remove plaque and food particles that may become trapped between your teeth and even under your gum line. It is so important to floss your teeth as your toothbrush may not reach these areas and plaque build up can lead to tooth decay.
- Book in for your regular 6 monthly Check up and Clean with us.
- Drink fluoridated tap water. It will do wonders for your teeth as fluoride helps to strengthen the enamel of your teeth.
- Be sure to try and limit your intake of soft drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks and also fruit juice. These types of drinks contain high amounts of sugar and are quite acidic. Bacteria in plaque love feeding on sugars and as a result produce acid. This is what causes holes or cavities to form in your teeth.
- When drinking acidic, sugary drinks, be sure to use a straw and do not swish the liquid around in your mouth. This reduces acid exposure to teeth.
- It is great to eat calcium-rich foods such as milk and cheese after consuming sugary and acidic products, by doing this it aids in neutralising acids and helps to protect your teeth.
- Book in today and get fissure sealants placed onto your teeth. Fissure sealants can protect your teeth from decay as they form a physical barrier (against food and bacteria) on the biting surface of your teeth. To create a fissure sealant, our dentists will firstly clean your teeth and then paint a durable plastic solution onto your fissures (or grooves of your teeth) and the material is then set in place.
If decay has settled into the tooth, we are easily able to remove the decay and restore the tooth with ‘white fillings’. Our dentists will easily match the restorative material to your original tooth colour and repair the damage caused from decay. So you won’t even be able to tell that you have had a filling or restoration done and you can keep that beautiful smile of yours healthy and happy.